Thursday, July 10, 2008

Soviet Country Bus Stops

I found it highly inspirational, because I vaguely remember when I was young (7/8 years) seeing bus stops similar to the ones above in Crimea while on vacation on Black Sea, and in other rural areas of USSR. There was one in particular close to the resort that we were staying at, it was almost a sculpture because its design did not shelter from the weather conditions as a bus stop should. The beams were not wide enough to protect from the rain and I always wondered while standing underneath it why it did not have an adequate roof. Also the seating area was awkward, I remember there was something strange about the seating as there was never any seating available but it was there... It was colorful and might of had patterned mosaic decoration. I wish I remembered more of that bus stop beside it being on a cliff of a narrow road and every time I waited at the stop with my parents, it rained.

1 comment:

mcritz said...

Wow. That's very interesting. I like how it looks, but obviously fashion won out over function. Perhaps the designers wanted the structures to appear open? Perhaps they didn't want to create a structure that might shelter criminal elements or the homeless?

It vaguely reminds me of rest shelters you might find in National Parks in Southwest America. Those shelters also lack walls, but their main purpose was to shield visitors from the sun rather than provide shelter from the rain.